Taxation of Minister/Pastor/Clergy Housing Allowance

Contrary to general belief, clergy do pay income taxes. This can come as a surprise both to clergy and to laypersons; especially with regard to the housing allowance. An ordained minister, priest, pastor, etc. pays no federal income tax on a housing allowance that the congregation has officially designated as part of the minister's compensation package. This means at best the housing allowance should appear on the W-2 separately as such; at worst it should be listed in a contract dated prior to any payments made for the same.

However, this does not mean the housing allowance is not taxed at all. And it is a misnomer to say it is "tax free." The housing allowance must be reported as Self Employment income. Therefore, it is subject to the self-employment taxation. If a pastor does not receive a housing allowance, then what must still be reported is the rental value of a rectory, parsonage, or other housing that is provided, as self-employment income. The rental value is generally equal to what comparable housing in the area goes for on the rental market.

Continue reading
Rate this blog entry:
220 Hits

Click for the BBB Business Review of this Taxes - Enrolled Agent in Melbourne FL

1000 characters left